Constitution of the Oxford University Men’s Blues Committee
1. Purposes of the Committee
a. The regulation and recording of awards of Full Blues, Half Blues, Extraordinary Full Blues, Extraordinary Half Blues .
b. The regulation of conditions for competing in the Varsity Match (See Appendix 1).
c. The supervision of colours and trimmings worn by OU Men’s Sports Clubs.
d. The mediation and arbitration between clubs should a difference of opinion exist.
e. The representation of University Sport as a whole where is necessary.
f. The awarding of the termly 'Men’s Blues Grant' (see Appendix 4).
g. The organisation of an Annual Awards evening for the presentation of new Full Blues, Half Blues and Team Colours.
h. Formation of a sub-committee to organize this event.
i. The organisation of an Annual dinner for the presidents and captains serving as representatives on the committee.
j. To maintain a database containing the information of past Blues awards and current captains. Currently available at www.oxforduniversityblues.com
a. Attendance to Meetings
i. The Oxford University Men’s Blues Committee shall consist of the captains or presidents of all Full, Discretionary Full or Half Blue sports and the elected President, Treasurer and Secretary of the Committee itself.
ii. The following shall be invited as observers: the President and Secretary of the Women’s Blues Committee, the Sports Director of Oxford University, the President of the Sports Federation.
iii. The Captain or President of a club on the committee may invite his Secretary or Treasurer in an advisory capacity or in his stead to serve as a representative.
iv. A club captain or his representative, must attend at least every third meeting of OUMBC. The continual sending of apologies is not sufficient as it means the committee is not representative.
1. Should a club representative not attend three consecutive meetings the blues status of their club will be put on probation and their status review brought forward to the following meeting. Should they then fail to attend this their status will be revoked. Whilst on probation, a club will be unable to award any Blues.
i. An annual affiliation fee of ten pounds shall be collected from each club (payable to Oxford University Men’s Blues Committee).
ii. Any club that does not send a representative to a meeting, and fails to apologise to the secretary prior to the meeting will be fined 50% of the annual affiliation fee.
iii. The Secretary is entitled to refuse to order Blues certificates for clubs who have outstanding fees or fines.
iv. The President is entitled to remove the voting rights of any club which has not paid their annual affiliation by the end of Michaelmas Term, with the rights to be immediately reinstated on payment.
v. Clubs are required to be affiliated with University Proctors.
vi. Club Captains are encouraged to send details of any awards (Full Blues, Discretionary Full Blues, Half Blues, University colours) within two weeks of their Varsity match or where otherwise arranged.
vii. All voting members of the OUMBC are bound by the current standing orders of the Joint Blues Committee of Oxford and Cambridge Universities.
a. The President shall:
i. Chair the Termly meetings of the committee.
ii. Oversee the general running of the Men’s Blues Committee.
iii. Attend the Joint Blues Committee meetings with Cambridge.
iv. Produce an annual report.
v. Oversee the organization of an Annual award ceremony.
vi. Approve submissions into the Blues Database
vii. Sign Blues certificates.
b. The Secretary shall:
i. Organise the venue and timing of the Committee meetings.
ii. Send out notices of meetings, no later than two weeks prior to the meeting.
iii. Send out an agenda at least three days before the meeting.
iv. Take minutes at all Men’s Blues Committee meetings and be responsible for maintaining minutes.
v. Be responsible for helping the President organize the Awards presentation evening.
vi. Carry out a contact detail check at the beginning of each term.
vii. Send the details of the meeting to the Sports Federation President for advertising so that all captains will be made aware in spite of any erroneous omissions.
c. The Treasurer shall
i. Collect affiliation fees, and any fines.
ii. Produce signed accounts on an annual basis.
iii. Sign over accounts to the newly elected treasurer at the end of their tenure.
iv. Pay out the termly OUMBC bursary from the OUMBC account
d. The OUMBC Account:
i. Both the President and the Treasurer shall be named as signatories on the account.
ii. The Treasurer will be responsible for keeping the Committee's financial records.
4. Election Procedure
a. The Committee shall elect a President, Secretary and Treasurer at the end of every Hilary Term, to take office at the beginning of the following Trinity.
b. Eligibility to stand for office extends to any person who has sat on the committee, but must be a matriculated student for their entire tenure
c. The election procedure will start with a short presentation by each candidate in an order chosen at random by the chair. Committee members and observers may then direct questions to the chair to be answered by both candidates. The order in which candidates answer questions shall rotate with each question.
d. The election for the position of President shall take place first as any unsuccessful candidates may then put themselves forward for the position of Secretary or Treasurer.
e. Voting members may vote for any candidate or may choose to vote to Re-Open Nominations, but no votes are transferable.
f. The election of a candidate shall be determined by a simple majority vote.
g. Voting on the election of officers shall be taken by a show of hands.
5. Voting Rights
i. The quorum of the Committee meeting shall be at least fifteen voting members.
ii. Only one representative from each Full, Discretionary or Half Blue Club shall be allowed to vote.
iii. Any observers to the meeting will not have voting rights.
iv. Anyone proposing a motion does not relinquish his voting rights.
v. Any status change affecting voting rights will take effect in the subsequent meeting.
1. For promotion to, or maintenance of Full Blue: ten Full Blue voting members of the Committee shall be required, but such a quorum shall include no more than four representatives.
a. No application for Full Blues or change of Full Blue status shall be granted unless it receives the support of at least nine Full Blue members of the Committee or their representatives.
2. For votes on the maintenance or promotion to Discretionary Full Blue status a quorum of 20 Discretionary or Full Blue voting members is required but no more than one third should be representatives.
3. For the granting of Half Blues, or a change of Half Blues status, a quorum of twenty Full, Discretionary and Half Blue voting members of the Committee shall be required, but no more than one-third of the quorum should be representatives.
4. A two third majority is need for a maintenance or promotion of a sport’s status.
i. The President shall not represent any Full or Half Blue sport in a vote or debate on any motion before the Committee. In the event of the President also holding the post of Captain of a Full or Half Blue sport he shall not exercise the voting right of that sport. He may invite a representative of his club to attend on behalf of his club, or he may make an apology for that sport. Any such representative of the President’s sport shall vote independently of any instruction or advice given by the President at any time.
ii. The President or Secretary shall only have a vote in the following circumstances:
1. In the event of a tied vote, the President shall have a casting vote in which he may not abstain.
2. The Secretary shall only have a vote if he is chairing the debate and the vote on the motion is tied, he shall then exercise a casting vote and may not abstain.
6. Content of Meetings
a. Motions and agenda items
i. Motions and other agenda items must be submitted in written form (on paper or via email) to the secretary at least a week before the meeting.
ii. The president and secretary may also add motions to the agenda including reviews of clubs.
iii. Any motion submitted to the committee shall not be reconsidered in similar form within one calendar year, unless there have been significant changes to its content.
iv. All votes on status reviews and criteria changes are to by held by secret ballot.
b. Content of Motions
i. Status/Criteria Changes :
1. All motions for change of status must include a written report addressing the General Criteria for the awarding of Blues (see Appendix 2)
2. If the committee does not approve the proposed review the club may present an amended review at the following meeting. If this also fails the club must reapply for Status. Should there be a Varsity Match before a satisfactory review has been completed all awards resulting from this must be proposed to the committee.
3. For the granting of Half Blues or a change of Half Blue status any amendment must carry a two thirds majority vote.
4. For the granting of Discretionary Full Blues or a change to Discretionary Full Blue status only Discretionary Full Blue and Full Captains and representatives may vote. Amendments must carry a two third majority.
5. For the granting of Full Blues or a change to Full Blue status only Full Blue captains and representatives may vote. Amendments must carry a two third majority in favour.
6. Any changes in status will come into effect no sooner than the start of the following season or the 1st October following the change if a season is not clearly delineated.
ii. Awarding of Extraordinary Blues:
1. A report should be included addressing the General Guidelines for the awarding of Extraordinary Blues (see Appendix 2) and include enough detail for the committee to come to an informed decision as to whether the applicant adequately fulfils the criteria.
2. The motion for an extraordinary award may not been presented by the applicant but by another member of his club or another member of the OUMBC.
3. For the granting of extraordinary Full Blues only Full Blue captains and representatives may vote. This vote must carry a majority.
7. Amendments to this constitution
a. The above clauses should be reviewed at least every five years
i. Any amendment to this constitution must be carried by a two-thirds majority of which no more than 10 are representatives.
Last revised 5th October 2013
Proposed by: Max Denning (President 2013-2014)
Seconded by: Alex Fraser (Secretary 2013-2014)